Thursday 15 May 2008

My contributions

Liam Friel


Contributions:
Research on wildlife
Built the SSW website and functions (SLURL) and contact form
Built the SSW sign in park
Built URL posts and notecard giver posts
Walkway in attraction.

I feel that my contributions to the group have been plentiful, when I began this course I felt that I would not be much use considering my 3D modelling skills and I have never used programming languages before (mainly scripting). I decided to play to my strengths - which was web development, image manipulation, documentation and organisation.

I still wanted to contribute to the cause with some objects, so I created the URL posts that lead users to more information about the animal. I also created the notecard giver posts, if there was interesting information about the animal then the user could carry the note card around with them.

I also created the path for the attraction after daniel pointed out that there was no logical route to take when the park is visited. Using my own skills I modified the jurrasic park image so that a nessie bone structure is included instead of a velociraptor, this is used as the welcome sign in our attraction.

As my course is multimedia I feel I would be best at creating the website for the group, the original concept was a wiki, but through permission problems on my server I had to change the idea to this website. I think this choice was better as I have more control over the look and feel. I did neat things like contact form and the SLURL of our park.

I also assisted with the research of animals, after my attempt to model a deer, I felt that realistic non-blocky object were outwith my reach as a modeller. I found the script that would be modified (by callum) and used as our pet companions.

I came up with many Ideas for this attraction the "adopt a pet" idea was created by me and callum and varous t-shirt ideas came to mind.

In all I think my contributions were useful and helpful to the rest of the group. I did things the rest of the group didn't have as much experience with, and took care of the simpler things so that the rest of the group could focus on their important tasks.

No comments: